WeCareJourney is a non-profit organization with a vision to champion CARE and support for families with SMA & other disabilities. Our Mission is caring and connecting families with SMA and disabilities to support by taking action and creating awareness, promoting readiness and responsibility, and by empowering affected families through education.
SMA is a rare genetic disease that robs people of physical strength by affecting the motor nerve cells in the spinal cord, taking away the ability to walk, eat, or breathe. It is the number one genetic cause of death for infants. Survival rate in Malaysia is very low at 4% as compare to other countries like Hong Kong, their survival rate is at 67%. This is due to low awareness and weak patient care for the impacted families.
Wheelathon is one of our largest initiatives this year as we would like to provide an opportunity for everyone to have fun and do good for the community.
We are looking for volunteers to:
1. buddy for families with disabled children throughout the event to assist them to move around and ensure their safety during the ride
2. cheerleaders at the start/end and mid-check point to motivate and congratulate the participants
The objectives of the 2017 Wheelathon Charity Ride for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) are:
- To create awareness of SMA to the public
- To enable the opportunity for patients and family members to socialize and have fun
- To promote inclusion in the
community as inclusion provides personal and social benefits